Skip to main content

The Street, Chelsea Embankment

The Street, Chelsea Embankment

Théodore Roussel 1847-1926 Etching on Dutch ‘antique’ laid paper, c.1888-9

Very much in the spirit of Whistler’s studies of Chelsea shop fronts in the 1880s (The Barber’s Shop and Rag-Shop, Milman’s Row), this view shows the row between Danvers and Beaufort streets which was demolished in 1889 in connection with the construction of the new Battersea Bridge.

The paper (with Pro Patria watermark) used for this impression is the same type as collected and used by Whistler around this date to print Balcony, Amsterdam.

Like Cheyne Walk (above), this impression is dedicated by Roussel to Thomas Nelson MacLean, the sculptor whose Whistler prints also came to the Museum via his widow Katharine Anne Riches.

Given by Mrs T. H. Riches 1923

Collections record: P.1990-R

University of Cambridge Museums logo
Arts Council England Logo
Research England logo
The Technology Partnership logo
Brewin Dolphin Logo